2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sour cream or full-fat yogurt
1 tsp almond extract
1 stick salted butter, grated and frozen (details below)
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup sugar, plus 2 tbsp for topping
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbsp milk or cream, for brushing the scones
If You Care Parchment Baking Paper
For the glaze:
½ cup confectioners sugar
1-2 tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F or 204 degrees C
- Grate a cold stick of butter onto a plate, using a box grater, on the large setting. Place butter in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and use your hands or a pie cutter to fully integrate. You should have pea-sized clumps of butter and the flour should look yellow in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, almond extract, and sour cream or yogurt.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. You should have a slightly sticky, but workable dough.
- Finally, add blueberries, mix gently, and turn out onto a floured counter.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Make sure the surface is well floured.
- Slice dough disc into 8 triangles.
- Line a baking sheet with If You Care Parchment Baking Paper.
- Place scone triangles onto the baking sheet and into the fridge to cool for 15 minutes.
- While the scones cool, whisk together glaze ingredients. The glaze should be smooth and runny enough to drizzle.
- Just before baking, brush the top of scones with milk or cream and sprinkle with extra sugar.
- Bake for ~20-24 minutes, until golden brown and risen.
Let cool, then drizzle with glaze and enjoy!BUY NOW