Extra Juicy Chestnut and Bacon Stuffed Turkey
½ lb bacon, chopped
1 cup La Forestiere Roasted Chestnuts, minced
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp sage
1 stick butter, cubed
Salt and pepper
One 15lb turkey, washed and dried
4 leaves sage
2 shallots, halved
2 carrots, quartered
2 stalks celery, quartered
½ leek, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
½ leek, quartered and sliced
½ lb bacon
1 tbsp fresh sage
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tbsp fresh parsley
2 cups La Forestiere Roasted Chestnuts, halved
2 tbsp bourbon
1 loaf country bread, cubed and toasted
2 cups bone broth
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large food processor, combine all ingredients for paste including, bacon, chestnut, thyme, sage, butter then blend and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place turkey on a cutting board and gently separate the skin from the bird and place chestnut paste under the skin. Set turkey aside.
- Meanwhile, make stuffing by adding olive oil to a heavy bottomed or cast iron pot and sauté celery, carrots, leeks and bacon, cook until vegetables are softened and bacon is fragrant. Add herbs and stir in chestnuts. Add a splash of bourbon and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes. Add bread cubes and stock and stir. Allow to cool.
- When stuffing has cooled enough to handle, stuff turkey, then truss.
- Place an If You Care XL Roasting Bag in a large roasting pan, seam side up, then place turkey inside the center of the bag. Add sage, shallots, carrots, celery and leeks inside the bag as well, then close the open end of the bag by folding upward as many times as possible. And place in the oven to roast for 2 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and carefully cut open the top of the bag, exposing the turkey. Spoon juices over the top of the turkey and allow to roast uncovered for another 45 minutes until thoroughly browned or inside temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove stuffing and place in a bowl, then carve your turkey and serve immediately.
Tip: When you have extra stuffing, add to a ceramic baking dish lined with If You Care Parchment Paper and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.