Cheddar Chive Biscuits
Yield: 12 biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup heavy cream
1 stick salted butter, grated and frozen (details below)
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp black pepper
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
½ cup chives, chopped
2 tbsp cream, for brushing the biscuits
Flaky salt, for sprinkling on top
If You Care Parchment Baking Paper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F or 204 degrees C
- Grate a cold stick of butter onto a plate, using a box grater, on the large setting. Place butter in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, onion powder, black pepper, cheddar, and chives.
- Add butter to dry ingredients and use your hands or a pie cutter to fully integrate. You should have pea-sized clumps of butter and the flour should look yellow in color.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. You should have a slightly sticky, but workable dough.
- Once combined, turn the dough out onto a floured counter.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten into a rectangle that is ~1-inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 12 squares. The corners may have slightly rounded edges- that’s okay
- Line a baking sheet with If You Care Parchment Baking Paper.
- Place biscuits onto the baking sheet and into the freezer to cool for 15-30 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush the top of the biscuits with cream and sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake for ~20-24 minutes, until golden brown and risen.